Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Skeeters are Bigger in Texas

Well, we're here! We had a long old drive but we made it with no problems.

The first thing that comes to mind is the color green. Due to the heavy rain this year, everything is so green that it nearly glows. It's really shocking to see all the different variations. Wild flowers are in bloom and the pastures are just full of little yellow dots. Pinks and miniature daisys line the road ways.

The second thing that comes to mind is how big can mosquitoes possibly get?! The morning after our arrival we beat it to the farm store where we got enough mosquito spray for the entire tri-state area! LOL! When Frankie sees someone coming with a can he runs for the hills! LOL!

Okay so I've decided that heirloom seeds are just not for me. The germination rate was hit and miss. I planted tons of peas and beans. I have about 10 pea vines and less bean plants. I have about 4 squash plants, about 10 stalks of corn and watermelons. I planted a garden full of veggies and am really disappointed. My dad's hybrid garden is flourishing.

We've decided not to go organic this year. The potato bugs were eating "Tony's taters" like they were going out of style. They're not any more.

All the game hens are sitting on nests and while I heard an owl last night he wasn't close enough to us for the chickens to raise a fuss. We're sleeping with the windows open just in case I need to grab my shotgun and open fire on varmits. My trusty guard dogs, Elvis and Ringo, are on full alert...well when they're not sleeping or laying up under the air conditioner which is about 22 hours a day.

So far I've broken the rope on the weedeater and my tiller won't run. I'm having a heck of a time with equipment. There's always the hoe...yehaw... WalMart veggies are looking better and better.

We had our first watermelon last night and it was delicious. Ringo and the chickens ate almost as much as the kids. We literally had to chase the durn chickens off...they kept trying to peck on the pieces we were eating. I'll share things with my beloved Frankie but I'm not sharing with someone who pecks poop! LOL!

We're going to the Sale on Monday. That will be an interesting blog...as always, teeth optional. Frankie and I will have ours. You'll be able to recognize us by the teeth and we'll be the two not smoking.

1 comment: