Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Big Trip

While planning the big trip from Arizona to the Y2K, I can't help wondering how the folks on the wagon trains did it. How in the world did those women pack the animals and the kids and food, clothes, books, canned goods, etc. into a covered wagon and travel across the country?

Shoot, I'm stressed and I have leather interior, a magnificent a/c and a 6 CD changer. My husband has generously supplied me with a piece of shiney plastic enabling me to buy beef jerky, Tootsie Pops, caffine and gas without having to even see one cent of currency.

If I had to make camp every night, gather wood, make a fire, cook food, etc. without a shower, well does the phrase "cold day in hell" mean anything to you? Screw the west. I would have just had to tough it out in the East and Mainfest Destiny may have never taken place.

This drive is just torture. I swear I had never heard of Van Horn, Texas before my first drive out. I wish I still handn't heard. Not that Van Horn's not a nice town, it is for the most part. It's just that the entire area is ssooooo desolate. AAAHHHH! I swear that on the last trip out I got caught up in some funky time warp deal and I drove for days without the scene changing one little bit. By some shift in the cosmos I finally broke free and made it to Big Spring.

As a result of this alternate timeline, I decided that on the return trip I would NOT be driving home via ElPaso but would cut across scenic New Mexico to the lovely town of Roswell and across. Somehow during the trip we drove through Lincoln, NM and saw a bunch of stuff about Billy the Kid. I was really thrilled. Frankie and the dogs weren't too impressed, i.e. no McDonalds in sight. If you haven't been, go. It's really lovely and very interesting.

By the time we finally got home my butt was sore and Frankie was swearing he was never leaving Arizona house again! LOL! Yet, here we plan on going again next week. Will wonders never cease.

I haven't decided how we'll go this time. All I know is that we WILL go. There's alot of work to be done on the farm. Something's gettin my chickens and I can't have that. Not to mention, the farm's calling my name, I can hear it loud and clear. Oh no wait, it's not the farm, it's the Rednecks...my mistake.

Yall come see us now, 'ya hear?

2 comments:

  1. Amy, Sorry about your 4 legged friend, so sad. Have a safe trip out and look forward to pictures maybe??
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you want me to visit????

    FYI Van Horn is NOT a nice town. It is a scutter town, complete with two truck stops and Chuy's--the home to the John Madden room.

    ReplyDelete