Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The phone call that changed my young life

The story goes like this:

The phone rings a couple of times and a very sleepy little girl answers. She hears her Daddy say, "Hello Amy, it's a boy!" Eventhough Amy had been planning on naming her "sister" April, she says, "Just what I always wanted!" That was my first lie to my parents that I can remember...unfortunately not my last.

Anyhow, while I love my brother like no other adult on the planet, that was the last day of my being an only child. Not only was he another kid, he was a BOY! A little white haired, brown eyed, fearless carrier of the family name. He was celebrated and the toys began. He had die cast farm equipment that I would have killed for. He had tractors, combines, trucks, plows, cultivators, you name it, he had it. He even had a big peddle tractor just like Daddy's... what a rip.

David got to go to the farm and ride on whatever Dad happened to be using, the tractor or combine. Lots of farming is driving the tractor, etc. and can be very boring. Anyhow, David would beg to go with Dad - Mama and I would wait 10 minutes and then head for the farm. As soon as we got there Dad would meet us at the end of the row to hand David off. David would have gone to sleep before the first turn and Dad would have had to hold him in the tractor with one hand and drive with the other! LOL! It NEVER failed!

Who would have ever dreamed that the sleepy little farmer would grow into such a wonderful man. That baby born 37 (OMG!) years ago today has grown into a 6'5" broad sholdered man. The white blond hair has turned darker and grayer. He can now stay awake to pilot jet airplanes and farms for fun on the weekends and summer. He and his lovely and talented wife, Reagan have indeed carried on the family name and will continue to do so (Daddy and I are hoping anyway).

And, while it took about 25 years, I eventually got over not being the only child. I'm still competing but he gave up so it's not quite so much fun anymore. He STILL has more toys than I do, twerp.

1 comment: