Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ode to Dog Love

I'm new to this blogging thing and while I tried to post a similar blog last night, I can't seem to find it...yeah really. Anyhow, if YOU see it, you can disregard this one.

Yesterday I had to have my little Chihuhua Mickey put to sleep. He was 13, had no teeth and major breathing problems. While I had talked about this for a long time, and thought I was fully prepared, I was shocked at how much it really hurt.

Mickey had been my constant companion for 10 years. He was a "one woman" dog and with the exception of my son Frankie, believed all others were here to do me bodily harm. His love was unconditional. That's such a miracle to me because frankly humans don't have this for each other with the exception of family.

I guess my question is why do dogs love us? We don't "deserve" it. We love them certainly but not unconditionally...not the way they are devoted to us.

While I will probably get another dog down the line, I will never be able to replace Mickey's love and utter devotion. I wouldn't even want to try. He was my beloved little companion, my champion, my protector. I loved him and I hope he knew.

2 comments: